She flew into her house, hurried to her bedroom and threw her pink shoulder bag into the corner. She was about to run into the bathroom when her sister yelled,
“Sam, why are you late? Don’t you know how to use your watch?!”
“I’m in the bathroom! Zip up!” she called back.
“Mom is definitely gonna know all about this irresponsibility. Hurry up!” Shiela hollered. Sam just made a face, shifted from her uniform to a yellow tee-shirt and jeans, picked up her purple tote bag and headed for the front door. It’s Friday afternoon and it has been her weekend routine to baby-sit her aunt’s youngest daughter till Saturday morning since her aunt and her eldest son has to attend a bible-study session…with her mom and her sister.
“You know how important it is for us not to be late in the session and yet you always want everything to be on your own time” her sister finally gave her the last sermon for the day.
“It’s not my fault that I have to finish my exam,” she declared resentfully. “if I could have saved your precious time by not taking that head-breaking examination, I would have!”
“Okay fine, mom and I don’t begrudge your academic efforts, it’s just that everything has its own time” Shiela lowered her voice.
“Yeah, yeah right” Sam muttered and walked out of their maroon tinted gate.
When she arrived into her aunt’s house, it was already half past six so she directly went into the kitchen. There was a note in the table that said:
‘Samantha, Katie has to be in bed at nine o’ clock sharp. Andy, your uncle’s nephew will stay for the night to cook dinner. Take care.—Aunt Linda’
“Oookaay… so, Andy huh. Good, now I got myself a cook!” she grinned.
She went upstairs and found the 3 year old kid curled in the bed. She smiled,
“This isn't gonna be a hard work at all”
She went to the bathroom and was about to wash her hands with a bar of mint green soap when someone started banging on the door.
“Hey, hurry up!” a husky male voice cracked.
“Be out in a minute!” she shouted back.
“Hygiene is never your primary concern, how come it is now? Come on, move it!” the voice said sarcastically.
Samantha hurled open the bathroom door and glared at a tall, handsome guy with brown eyes and auburn-colored hair.
“It’s all yours, EAT IT!” she retorted. The guy’s handsome face turned sooo red.
“Sorry miss, I… I thought you were my cousin Mike” he said.
“Oh yeah? Does my voice sound like Mike’s voice?” she said indignantly.
“I said I’m sorry” he repeated.
“Well, what are you waiting for? Embrace the bathroom!” she replied curtly.
“You don’t have to be sarcastic…” he said.
“Really? Can’t I meet sarcasm with sarcasm? That’s the treatment you deserve. Who are you anyway? And why are you here in my aunt’s house?” she snorted.
“Oh you must be Samantha. I’m Andy, your aunt sent me here to cook for you and Katy” he offered his hand.
She ignored what he said and slithered past him heading for Katy’s room, but Andy grabbed her arm,
“Hey, I really am sorry, please.” He said, his brown eyes glittering, staring at her.
For some reason, the look he had just given her made her heart cry to insanity, and before she knew it, she was saying,
“It’s okay. Forget it. Do your work in the kitchen and make sure it’s a good dinner okay”
“Sure, see you later Samantha” he said closing the bathroom door.
“Hey, quit the Samantha thing, its way too serious. Just call me Sam okay? She said before she skipped downstairs.
They sure had a great dinner and she loved it. Andy was not that rude as she first thought he was from their bathroom, sarcasm and static collision. He was a gentleman and he made sure he’ll impress her, which, for her he successfully did. They talked and talked all night long, and somehow Andy made a connection that Sam couldn't possibly explain. All she knew was the phrases of
a song:
“I think I’m in-love, I think I’m in-love… with you…” Too bad she had to leave early morning for her voice lessons.
“Sam, Pauline called, she said you have to go to her house. It’s something about that John. Who’s John?” her mom asked while on their way to her tutor.
“Oh, no one, just Pauline’s crush” she replied. Pauline was her best friend even before they knew the ABC’s. They go to the same school and they do almost the same things… always.
“I don’t know how you could trace all Pauline’s crushes. I swear that girl has a new one everyday! I’m glad you’re more interested in your studies than boys” her mother proudly said.
Sam kept her mouth shut and just looked outside the car window. If only her mom knew why baby-sitting Katy was so exciting last night!
After her class, she and Pauline decided to go shopping. They were busy chatting and checking every single store but Pauline couldn't help noticing the smile that’s always painted on Sam’s face… so,
“What’s with you today Sammie? You’re always smiling and like, grinning. Oh god please don’t tell me you’re sick! And then what, you’re gonna be a freak!”
“Cut it off, I’m just not yet over with the guy I met last night at my aunt’s house, his name is Andy.”
Pauline just gave an impish grin, they strolled to the opposite lane where the movie house is and with Sam’s luck, they run between the theatres with, who else? Andy! But it wasn't a pretty scene, he was with a girl, who looked at Sam from head to toe and… with eyebrows raised.
“Hi Sam, I thought you have your voice lessons today?” Andy said smiling.
“Oh, I just got finished. Got to go, see you, bye!” she said hurriedly pushing Pauline inside the movie house.
“Hey, what’s the catch? How could you be so mean to me? Why didn't you introduce me to that cutie? Oh, wait! Is he Andy” Pauline teased.
“Yes. And no, I’m not being mean, are you nuts? How could you say he’s cute? He’s not cute! He isn't even close to being cute!” She’s as red as an apple and her heartbeat doubled. But green with envy when she saw that girl clutched in Andy’s arm.
“Oh pulleeeze Samantha Dianne! You like him, do you? Do you?” Pauline continued teasing.
“I don’t know! Stop it! I guess, maybe… umm… yes?” she said with her eyes swelling with shyness.
“See? Oh thank goodness the day I've been waiting for came at last. You’re in-love! Now I know you’re really a girl, what a relief!” Pauline confessed.
“You really think so? Thanks I appreciate that…” she said
After a week, she hadn't heard or seen Andy anymore. She was sitting on the couch and satisfying herself with a cup of coffee when her sister yelled,
“Sam? Sam! Where are you?”
“Now what? Go away! Slave driver!” she shouted.
“Okay, you made that clear! I’ll hang up the phone! Too bad it’s for you and it’s someone named Andy!” Shiela hollered.
Her jaw dropped but was quick enough to answer back,
“WAIT! Sorry! You are the most beautiful sister in the whole universe! Now please give me the phone!” she hates it when she has to plead, especially to her sister.
“Andy, what’s up” she nervously tried to sound casual.
Sam, I’m just wondering, tomorrow, could we meet? I just had nothing to do and I thought of spending the day with you” he said.
“Me? Why me? Why not that girl you’re with when we saw you last week at the mall?” she asked
“Who? My sister? No way! She made me watch that dorky movie which stars a talking pig! Please spare me tomorrow Sam, please?” he pleaded.
“Oh…okay, sure. See you tomorrow, goodnight Andy” she was obviously catching her breath.
“Thanks! Goodnight too. See you, bye.”
The next day, Sam never expected that Andy would pick her up from her house. She almost fainted when she showed up at the front door! He was as gorgeous as a TV personality, with black denim pants and navy blue polo shirt… he looked amazing. She, on the other hand wore a ruffled pink dress with yellow floral prints, and had her hair fall down on a straight. That portrait nearly made Andy flop to the floor. Shiela whispered to her,
“If that guy brings you to a church, you’ll hear not even a bit of criticism from me. I’ll praise him”
“Oh shut up… you’re just jealous because you’re twenty-eight and no one bothers to bring you to a church, not even on a date! Ha ha!” Sam shot back.
“SAMANTHA!!!” Shiela hollered.
“Uh-oh, got to go… bye mom! Bye sis…” She said giggling.
It was already dark when Andy drove her home, she scanned the windows of her house and was glad that the curtains were closed, her mom might see them outside in Andy’s car and might think that they’re doing something odd. But then, she wondered if her sister is a psychic because Andy really brought her to a church, she couldn't wonder more so she asked,
“Andy, why did you bring me to a church instead of somewhere else?”
“Sam, I really don’t know. All I know is that it’s Sunday…”
Oh yeah, it’s Sunday. I should have known that earlier… how stupid of me to think that there was something else… She thought.
“And…I couldn't forget you since last week and… it’s Valentine’s day. I just knew I wanted to spend this day with you, and so I have to bring you to a church.” Andy explained.
Sam nearly grasped herself when she remembered what Pauline told her on the phone yesterday:
“Sammie, if Andy has got the guts to fetch you from your house… he’s one super serious guy! And oh, just for the thrill… if he brings you to a church, feel the clouds! Its jackpot!” …and then she considered what Shiela also told her later that afternoon about the “church” thing,
“This is something” she thought.
“Umm, Andy, I don’t know what to say…” she softly said.
“It’s okay, I had a wonderful time Sam” Andy smiled.
That eyes, that brown expressive eyes really gives her the punch… And that cherry lips… she wondered how it feels to feel Andy’s lips… she thoughtfully giggled.
“Really? Me too, thanks Andy…for coming into my life… she could have said that but she was too love stricken. Then, almost before she knew what was happening, Andy leaned toward her and kissed her…Then, asked her,
“Now, are you going to hit me?”
Sam looked at him with teary and angry eyes. Andy, feeling all the guilt in the
world reached out and took her hand,
“I’m sorry Sam, maybe I became too quick of loving you, please don’t get angry” he begged.
“I was just shocked that’s all” Sam said “But yes, I’m going to hit you… with this…”
She hugged Andy and said,
“I’d surely love you to be mine”
Andy felt relieved and put his arms around Samantha and said,
“I’m glad, now you’ll have someone to be with after your voice lessons, and that’s me… well, if it’s okay with Pauline”
“I wish that won’t be all we’re going to practice” Sam said demurely.
“Why? What do we have to practice then?”
“How about this?” she looked straight into his eyes and then kissed Andy on the lips.
When they parted, Andy couldn't help smiling and turning pink, he finally said,
“You’re sure good. And you got it right. Practice makes perfect!”
“I love you Sam…”
“I love you too Andy…”
“Sam, why are you late? Don’t you know how to use your watch?!”
“I’m in the bathroom! Zip up!” she called back.
“Mom is definitely gonna know all about this irresponsibility. Hurry up!” Shiela hollered. Sam just made a face, shifted from her uniform to a yellow tee-shirt and jeans, picked up her purple tote bag and headed for the front door. It’s Friday afternoon and it has been her weekend routine to baby-sit her aunt’s youngest daughter till Saturday morning since her aunt and her eldest son has to attend a bible-study session…with her mom and her sister.
“You know how important it is for us not to be late in the session and yet you always want everything to be on your own time” her sister finally gave her the last sermon for the day.
“It’s not my fault that I have to finish my exam,” she declared resentfully. “if I could have saved your precious time by not taking that head-breaking examination, I would have!”
“Okay fine, mom and I don’t begrudge your academic efforts, it’s just that everything has its own time” Shiela lowered her voice.
“Yeah, yeah right” Sam muttered and walked out of their maroon tinted gate.
When she arrived into her aunt’s house, it was already half past six so she directly went into the kitchen. There was a note in the table that said:
‘Samantha, Katie has to be in bed at nine o’ clock sharp. Andy, your uncle’s nephew will stay for the night to cook dinner. Take care.—Aunt Linda’
“Oookaay… so, Andy huh. Good, now I got myself a cook!” she grinned.
She went upstairs and found the 3 year old kid curled in the bed. She smiled,
“This isn't gonna be a hard work at all”
She went to the bathroom and was about to wash her hands with a bar of mint green soap when someone started banging on the door.
“Hey, hurry up!” a husky male voice cracked.
“Be out in a minute!” she shouted back.
“Hygiene is never your primary concern, how come it is now? Come on, move it!” the voice said sarcastically.
Samantha hurled open the bathroom door and glared at a tall, handsome guy with brown eyes and auburn-colored hair.
“It’s all yours, EAT IT!” she retorted. The guy’s handsome face turned sooo red.
“Sorry miss, I… I thought you were my cousin Mike” he said.
“Oh yeah? Does my voice sound like Mike’s voice?” she said indignantly.
“I said I’m sorry” he repeated.
“Well, what are you waiting for? Embrace the bathroom!” she replied curtly.
“You don’t have to be sarcastic…” he said.
“Really? Can’t I meet sarcasm with sarcasm? That’s the treatment you deserve. Who are you anyway? And why are you here in my aunt’s house?” she snorted.
“Oh you must be Samantha. I’m Andy, your aunt sent me here to cook for you and Katy” he offered his hand.
She ignored what he said and slithered past him heading for Katy’s room, but Andy grabbed her arm,
“Hey, I really am sorry, please.” He said, his brown eyes glittering, staring at her.
For some reason, the look he had just given her made her heart cry to insanity, and before she knew it, she was saying,
“It’s okay. Forget it. Do your work in the kitchen and make sure it’s a good dinner okay”
“Sure, see you later Samantha” he said closing the bathroom door.
“Hey, quit the Samantha thing, its way too serious. Just call me Sam okay? She said before she skipped downstairs.
They sure had a great dinner and she loved it. Andy was not that rude as she first thought he was from their bathroom, sarcasm and static collision. He was a gentleman and he made sure he’ll impress her, which, for her he successfully did. They talked and talked all night long, and somehow Andy made a connection that Sam couldn't possibly explain. All she knew was the phrases of
a song:
“I think I’m in-love, I think I’m in-love… with you…” Too bad she had to leave early morning for her voice lessons.
“Sam, Pauline called, she said you have to go to her house. It’s something about that John. Who’s John?” her mom asked while on their way to her tutor.
“Oh, no one, just Pauline’s crush” she replied. Pauline was her best friend even before they knew the ABC’s. They go to the same school and they do almost the same things… always.
“I don’t know how you could trace all Pauline’s crushes. I swear that girl has a new one everyday! I’m glad you’re more interested in your studies than boys” her mother proudly said.
Sam kept her mouth shut and just looked outside the car window. If only her mom knew why baby-sitting Katy was so exciting last night!
After her class, she and Pauline decided to go shopping. They were busy chatting and checking every single store but Pauline couldn't help noticing the smile that’s always painted on Sam’s face… so,
“What’s with you today Sammie? You’re always smiling and like, grinning. Oh god please don’t tell me you’re sick! And then what, you’re gonna be a freak!”
“Cut it off, I’m just not yet over with the guy I met last night at my aunt’s house, his name is Andy.”
Pauline just gave an impish grin, they strolled to the opposite lane where the movie house is and with Sam’s luck, they run between the theatres with, who else? Andy! But it wasn't a pretty scene, he was with a girl, who looked at Sam from head to toe and… with eyebrows raised.
“Hi Sam, I thought you have your voice lessons today?” Andy said smiling.
“Oh, I just got finished. Got to go, see you, bye!” she said hurriedly pushing Pauline inside the movie house.
“Hey, what’s the catch? How could you be so mean to me? Why didn't you introduce me to that cutie? Oh, wait! Is he Andy” Pauline teased.
“Yes. And no, I’m not being mean, are you nuts? How could you say he’s cute? He’s not cute! He isn't even close to being cute!” She’s as red as an apple and her heartbeat doubled. But green with envy when she saw that girl clutched in Andy’s arm.
“Oh pulleeeze Samantha Dianne! You like him, do you? Do you?” Pauline continued teasing.
“I don’t know! Stop it! I guess, maybe… umm… yes?” she said with her eyes swelling with shyness.
“See? Oh thank goodness the day I've been waiting for came at last. You’re in-love! Now I know you’re really a girl, what a relief!” Pauline confessed.
“You really think so? Thanks I appreciate that…” she said
After a week, she hadn't heard or seen Andy anymore. She was sitting on the couch and satisfying herself with a cup of coffee when her sister yelled,
“Sam? Sam! Where are you?”
“Now what? Go away! Slave driver!” she shouted.
“Okay, you made that clear! I’ll hang up the phone! Too bad it’s for you and it’s someone named Andy!” Shiela hollered.
Her jaw dropped but was quick enough to answer back,
“WAIT! Sorry! You are the most beautiful sister in the whole universe! Now please give me the phone!” she hates it when she has to plead, especially to her sister.
“Andy, what’s up” she nervously tried to sound casual.
Sam, I’m just wondering, tomorrow, could we meet? I just had nothing to do and I thought of spending the day with you” he said.
“Me? Why me? Why not that girl you’re with when we saw you last week at the mall?” she asked
“Who? My sister? No way! She made me watch that dorky movie which stars a talking pig! Please spare me tomorrow Sam, please?” he pleaded.
“Oh…okay, sure. See you tomorrow, goodnight Andy” she was obviously catching her breath.
“Thanks! Goodnight too. See you, bye.”
The next day, Sam never expected that Andy would pick her up from her house. She almost fainted when she showed up at the front door! He was as gorgeous as a TV personality, with black denim pants and navy blue polo shirt… he looked amazing. She, on the other hand wore a ruffled pink dress with yellow floral prints, and had her hair fall down on a straight. That portrait nearly made Andy flop to the floor. Shiela whispered to her,
“If that guy brings you to a church, you’ll hear not even a bit of criticism from me. I’ll praise him”
“Oh shut up… you’re just jealous because you’re twenty-eight and no one bothers to bring you to a church, not even on a date! Ha ha!” Sam shot back.
“SAMANTHA!!!” Shiela hollered.
“Uh-oh, got to go… bye mom! Bye sis…” She said giggling.
It was already dark when Andy drove her home, she scanned the windows of her house and was glad that the curtains were closed, her mom might see them outside in Andy’s car and might think that they’re doing something odd. But then, she wondered if her sister is a psychic because Andy really brought her to a church, she couldn't wonder more so she asked,
“Andy, why did you bring me to a church instead of somewhere else?”
“Sam, I really don’t know. All I know is that it’s Sunday…”
Oh yeah, it’s Sunday. I should have known that earlier… how stupid of me to think that there was something else… She thought.
“And…I couldn't forget you since last week and… it’s Valentine’s day. I just knew I wanted to spend this day with you, and so I have to bring you to a church.” Andy explained.
Sam nearly grasped herself when she remembered what Pauline told her on the phone yesterday:
“Sammie, if Andy has got the guts to fetch you from your house… he’s one super serious guy! And oh, just for the thrill… if he brings you to a church, feel the clouds! Its jackpot!” …and then she considered what Shiela also told her later that afternoon about the “church” thing,
“This is something” she thought.
“Umm, Andy, I don’t know what to say…” she softly said.
“It’s okay, I had a wonderful time Sam” Andy smiled.
That eyes, that brown expressive eyes really gives her the punch… And that cherry lips… she wondered how it feels to feel Andy’s lips… she thoughtfully giggled.
“Really? Me too, thanks Andy…for coming into my life… she could have said that but she was too love stricken. Then, almost before she knew what was happening, Andy leaned toward her and kissed her…Then, asked her,
“Now, are you going to hit me?”
Sam looked at him with teary and angry eyes. Andy, feeling all the guilt in the
world reached out and took her hand,
“I’m sorry Sam, maybe I became too quick of loving you, please don’t get angry” he begged.
“I was just shocked that’s all” Sam said “But yes, I’m going to hit you… with this…”
She hugged Andy and said,
“I’d surely love you to be mine”
Andy felt relieved and put his arms around Samantha and said,
“I’m glad, now you’ll have someone to be with after your voice lessons, and that’s me… well, if it’s okay with Pauline”
“I wish that won’t be all we’re going to practice” Sam said demurely.
“Why? What do we have to practice then?”
“How about this?” she looked straight into his eyes and then kissed Andy on the lips.
When they parted, Andy couldn't help smiling and turning pink, he finally said,
“You’re sure good. And you got it right. Practice makes perfect!”
“I love you Sam…”
“I love you too Andy…”



No comments:
Post a Comment