Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Rain Gently Falls

The rain pours heavily and I’m close to freezing as I made my way to the shower room. I hated rainy days, the depressive feeling and the dark charcoal tinted sky makes me sick and I just don’t know why my parents named me after it “Rain”. I almost fainted when the cold splash of water ran down to my back. It was ice cold! But I have to endure the unlikable feeling of taking a body wash because I wouldn’t want Anthony see me un-fresh and ugly, as I have always been in his eyes. He was, oh I mean he is my ultimate crush and at last, the day that I have been waiting for came, Valentine’s Day. His brown eyes, auburn-colored hair and red lips always made me dribble with sweat. I knew, I just knew that something different will happen on that day, I knew its different from those days that I used to content myself seeing him from afar and imagining his sweet hugs and kisses. The ball will surely be my bridge in capturing Anthony’s heart, and I promised to myself, he will he craving for me after this. I wore an A-cut beaded black velvet long gown and I spent nearly an hour and a half doing my make-up. I just had to make sure that on that night, they’ll see a new Rain, not the nerdy Ms. Weird or the academic geek that they used teasing me. I had enough of all those titles so I said to myself that it was the time to make them see my face and their reaction, “wow…” I couldn’t wait seeing my detractors’ faces drooped on the ground… Darn, just when I was on the climax of fantasizing my sweet revenge, my escort came…“Rain, ready to go?” It was Andrew, my best friend, the only guy who saw me behind my glasses, my pony tails, my usual long sleeved blouse and my books. I could say Andrew is the only real friend that I ever had.
“Yeah, just a minute” I spotted the look on Andrew’s face when I strode down the stairs to meet him. He looked perplexed and as if spilled with cold water all over. I couldn’t understand the look in his face.
“Why? Don’t I look okay? Should I change?” I asked hoping for a positive reply.
He shrugged and looked at me in the opposite manner, then finally said, “You look different” I knew the smile on my face faded abruptly. But just before I could step back to change, he said “beautiful” in a gentle and soft whispery way.
“Then, let’s go!” I said happily thinking that if Andrew could say I am stunning, then Anthony for sure will not resist noticing me.
And there he was, my prince charming, all handsome, captivating and totally tempting. Once again, I fell into my imagining state that I am on the dimmed dance floor with my arms flung around his neck and we were dancing eyes…to eyes. A light nudge brought me back to reality and alerted me that I was staring right into Andrew’s eyes and he was as red-looking like he had just entered a girls’ C.R!
“I…umm, I… ah, what are you doing?” he asked, his cheeks blushed and turning scarlet.
“Nothing! Just thought you had dirt on your nose” I snorted trying to hide the embarrassment. After half an hour, I realized it was the perfect time to approach Anthony. In no time, we’ll be dancing all night and I just couldn’t wait! Then, the unthinkable happened.
“Rain, can we dance?” it was Andrew.
“Oh! I’m thinking of dancing with Anthony, maybe later” I said resentfully. How could he be so insensitive while all the time I was telling him of my plans on capturing Anthony? His face dropped. But this is it! No more wasting of time! I will ask him to dance with me…
I was halfway to Anthony’s seat when he suddenly stood up and walked towards me!
“Oh…m-my…g-god…” my heartbeat seemed to have forever stopped. He’s going to ask me! I couldn’t believe it!
“Hi Anthony…” I said. He looked at me, smiled and said, “Excuse me, you’re blocking the way” and said to the girl sitting behind me, “Hi Kaye, will you dance with me, please?”
For minutes, I thought I was slowly losing my consciousness, I felt my soul parting from my crumpled heart. I couldn’t move! But I managed to hear what the girl said.
“Anthony, sorry but I’m with Joey tonight”
“Joey? Joey? That dim-witted and heinous cheater!” I found myself muttering those words the moment I heard the name of that stupid jerk. He used to be a special
friend until he spread the rumor that I was a living-dormant book! Who would not dump that kind of idiot? I thought he saw me behind the barriers of criticism, but not. Bet anytime this year Kaye will be regretting that she let Joey enter her life! And to think, she’s turning Anthony, my Anthony down! “Please Kaye, I came here only for you and I got no plans of dancing with anybody else but you” Anthony pleaded but Kaye gave him the look of disgust that he had to give up, he went back to his table.
When I finally regained my strength, I wanted to slap the girl but I had to control myself. I went back to Andrew with pearls of tears bursting out of my eyes. He instantly gave me a hankie and said,
“I think we should talk, but not here, let’s go” he said with a commanding tone.
He drove me home but gave me a three-hour sermon about my obsession with Anthony. I am staring to get annoyed because he is not helping me out of my heart-breaking situation. My tears kept rolling out of my swollen eyes. How on earth will I ever stand again from my fallen condition? Somehow, Andrew’s consoling and soothing words hushed my troubled heart. The sky I now starry and the grayish heavy rain clouds disappeared. Andrew stared at the black horizon and slowly said to me,
“You know what? For me you are the sky, a big and wide blanket with twinkling stars… it looks just like you now. And if it’s filled with rain clouds, it depicts your mood. Maybe that’s why you were named after the rain. For years, I kept on wishing that someday, that big wide blanket will hug me and own me and tell me that she loves me…”
Andrew could have forgotten that I was, or I used to be the famous drip, so, obviously I got the message of his epitome speech. I was confused and bewildered. But again, before I could utter a word he stood up and said, “I better get going, good night” and kissed me on the forehead.
He didn’t show up for weeks, damn! I’m missing him. Though I was not totally cured from my second hearth ache, his smiles and laughter reminds me that life must go on. For one month, I never laid eyes on my best friend. The sky seemed gray and foggy everyday and my life is shattering. Maybe I lost him already, but without him, I am back to being the ordinary girl who is useless to everybody. I needed him. I couldn’t just stay useless and unimportant. I have to make my own way without Andrew, I have to survive. After graduation, I finally knew what I want. I want to write.
I became a writer.
It was the inauguration of my book shop, the same day that Andrew left- Valentine’s Day and the launching of my very first publication. It was entitled “Rain Gently Falls” as it was all about my life’s downfalls.
Once again, I was in my room getting ready for the event, I decided to wear a satin deep blue strapless gown. I was about to step out of the house when a drizzle of water sprinkled my face,
“Oh no, please don’t make it rain” I begged.
But the rain welcomed my disgruntled face with stronger and heavier drops of water. Upsettingly, I lowered myself into the couch and hopelessly waited for the rain to stop.
“If Andrew was here, he’d surely offer his car” I sadly muttered.
A cold sweep of wind kissed my cheeks and the rain dramatically halted. It happened so fast that I thought I was in the twilight zone. The dull and desolate sky was clearing itself and revealing a fresh blue horizon. A smile painted on my face.
“But what if I’m here? Would you accept my offer?”
“Who’s the…” I turned to look for the owner of the familiar voice that made my heartbeat increase its throbbing.
“It’s me…”
“Andrew! You’re back! Where have you been?” I didn’t wait for his answer and hurriedly rushed to him and embraced him with all my might. He’s back! he’s back! My heart screamed.
“Uh…Rain, um…I can’t breathe” I realized I was squeezing him too tight,
‘Oh! Sorry… I missed you. Why did you leave me?” I finally said.
Then, he gave me the very same look that he gave me last year, perplexed and as if spilled with cold water.
“What?”
“You look different” he said with pride, “but you’re still the same Rain that my eyes had set upon” I just couldn’t speak at that very moment and I knew I was beginning to freeze.
“And you’re still my sky… wherever I go I know you’re just up there thinking of me. I just hope…”
“I love you” I broke, I never knew where the words came from…but I know it’s true.
He looked at me with teary eyes that made me realize more how I love him.
“Now you’re making it rain” I said smiling.
“Can I have another hug?” at last he found his voice out but tears already flowing down his cheeks. I hugged him tenderly and I felt the warmth of his deep love and devotion. This ends my story, my thoughts came true when a year ago, I wished for something special to happen on Valentine’s Day. Now, with the very last touch of love, Andrew, my best friend, my true love, whispered…
“I love you” as he hugged me with all the love in the world.
This is my story that kept me believing that love never fades. I may be the not-so-pretty girl and people may see me as someone ordinary but I believed in love… and love believed in me… =)

No comments: